Known as la, la la land, Hollywood, city of stars and many other names, Los Angeles is one of the world’s most famous cities for a family trip. LA offers many attractions for all age groups and boasts beachy warm weather year round. Exciting amusement parks, gorgeous beaches and award winning cuisines makes it a perfect family getaway. With everything there is to do, one could spend over a month and still miss a lot. Here is how we recommend first timers to LA should make the most out of their trip.
- Los Angeles is best visited in the month of march to may and mid – September and November. During these periods of time, the air is clear and the crowds are also friendly.
- The best means to explore all over the place in Los Angeles is by a car. And so to make your visit convenient, it is best to hire a car from the rental agencies found around Los Angeles.
- LA is considered a desert so the air is very dry. Carry moisturizers and hand cream with you.
- Get to the Griffith Observatory before sunset.
Recommended daily itinerary
Estimated cost: $1500-$2500 per person
First day of the trip, check in to your hotel and get settled.
- Fly into LAX.
- Checkin to Hollywood Inn Suites Hotel. Hollywood Inn Suites Hotel is 13 km from LA Memorial Coliseum. The property is around 14 km from California Science Center, 15 km from Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and 17 km from Staples Center.Hollywood Inn & Suites Gardena/LAX is an all-new, all-suite hotel near LAX that offers spacious 450-square foot rooms (Largest rooms in the city), vibrant contemporary style, and smart amenities.
- Explore the city and rest for the day.
Explore the town of Los Angles.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Loaded Café Restaurants Gardena.
- Soar past the iconic Hollywood Sign and enjoy the spectacular views on 25 minute helicopter tour. Book your tour in advance.
- Head over to J.Paul Getty Museum, south gate and Marina del rey.
- Enjoy dinner at Carnitas El Choche.
Universal Studios Hollywood
- Enjoy your breakfast at Domingo’s Italian Deli.
- Drive to Universal Studios and get your ticket which gives you one-time fast entry to each of the park’s rides, attractions, and shows, as well as behind-the-scenes access to select attractions. Make sure to arrive early to beat the crowd. You can ease your way into the park with lower impact rides like the Simpsons Ride, the Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and the Shrek 4D experience in the upper lot before heading to the lower lot. You’ll find fast paced thrill rides like Revenge of the Mummy, Jurassic Park and Transformers in the lower lot. You’ll have to go through a series of super long escalators to go between upper and lower lots, so avoid going back and forth.
- Enjoy your lunch at Krusty Burger.
- Continue to explore universal studios. Check your day’s show schedule and go to the ones you like. If you haven’t already, go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you want to change it up a bit, you can check out City Walk, a three-block entertainment area, with shopping, dining, and theaters. Another option is a guided tour of the studios to explore behind the scenes of some of Universal’s most popular movie sets.
- Enjoy your meal at Tomizo Ramen. We recommend house spicy miso ramen or dipping tsukemen ramen.
- Head back to your hotel and rest for the day.
Santa Monica, Griffith Park and Griffith Observatory.
- Start your day in a sizzlin’ way with a Tomato Basil wrap filled with American Cheese and a double portion of delicious egg omelets and crispy bacon at Subway.
- Drive to Santa Monica. A trip to Santa Monica is all about relaxing outdoors. When you’re not soaking up some sun on the 3 ½-mile beach, go for a bike ride along the Marvin Braude Beach Trail, set up a picnic in Palisades Park or enjoy a leisurely stroll through the open-air Third Street Promenade.
- Head over to Thai Food Express for lunch. We recommend seafood and noodles.
- Drive to Griffith Park and Griffith Observatory. Inside the park you can rent a bike, play golf, have a picnic, and enjoy the most stunning sunset views.
- Enjoy your meal at Denny’s. We recommend nashville hot chicken melt.
- Head back to your hotel and rest.
- Enjoy your early breakfast at El Antojito Grill. We recommend French Toast & Egg.
- Drive to Disneyland Park. Make sure to arrive early to find parking and beat the crowd inside the park. Experience the thrill of the old wooden rollercoaster, but with modern twists, turns and technology, at “California Screaming.” Enjoy live performances by your favorite characters at Also enjoy radiator springs racers which offers the chance to race another car through the ups and downs of mountains and deserts, includes a pit-stop for new tires etc.
- Enyoy your lunch at Plaza Inn.
- Continue your disneyland adventure. Check you daily schedule for showtimes and enjoy the ones you like. Later in the afternoon, wait times for rides like Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster and the Twilight Zone Tower begin to fall. If you miss them earlier in the day, it’ll be a great time to catch them.
- Enjoy your meal at the pan restaurant. We recommend pastrami and egg sandwich.
- Head back to hotel and rest up.
Last day of the trip
- Enjoy amenities at and nearby your hotel until your flight time. Pack your bags and get ready to bid farewell to the city of Angels.