This family vacation getaway at the Northern Neck is the northernmost of three peninsulas (traditionally called “necks” in Virginia) on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay in the Commonwealth of Virginia (the other two are the Middle Peninsula and the Virginia Peninsula). A short drive from most of the big Mid-Atlantic cities, one can truly step back in time and experience the road less traveled. Whether your visit is one day, one weekend or a whole week, you’ll find plenty to see, do and experience in this unique historical region.
- Make sure to have a designated driver if you’re going for wine tasting.
Recommended daily itinerary
Estimated cost: $2500-$5500 per person
First day of the trip, check in to your hotel and get settled.
- Fly into RIC or nearby airport and drive to Irvington.
- Checkin to The Tides Inn. Private waterfront setting affords the luxury of space while feeling connected to the traditions that make getaways more memorable. Connecting suites are ideal for bringing families together.
- Explore the resort and rest for the day.
Explore Shenandoah valley.
- Enjoy your breakfast in resort. We recommend the tides breakfast.
- Drive to Shenandoah Valley. Enjoy the Dark hollow fall which is one of the most popular waterfall hike in the valley, not only because of its singular beauty but its ease of access.
- Enjoy your lunch at Local Chop & Grill House. We recommend bison burger with candied bacon, havarti, chipotle aioli, lettuce, and tomato on a brioche bun with duck fat fries.
- Explore nearby falls like whiteoak, apple orchard and enjoy the scenery of the valley. Don’t forget the skyline drive which gives you the wonderful view of the valley.
- Enjoy your dinner at Meridian Bar & Grill. We recommend chicken tender with fried plain, or tossed in a choice of traditional buffalo sauce, or texas dry rub and also truffle wings.
Westmoreland State Park and Ingleside Vineyards
- Enjoy your breakfast at subway. We recommend black forest ham, egg and cheese.
- Drive to Westmoreland state park. You can hunt for the shark teeth at fossil beach. The fossil beach is stunning and a great place to spend quality time with the family. There are also wide variety of trails with beautiful mature trees and changing topography. You can enjoy hiking or head over to Potomac river for swimming. It’s a wonderful place to capture the four seasons.
- Enjoy your lunch at Angelo’s Pizza Restaurant Seafood & Steamer Bar. Popular item is baked spaghetti with pepperoni, sausage and meatballs.
- Drive to Ingleside Vineyards and enjoy the scenery. If you are able to we recommend you sample their award winning wine and have a small picnic. You’re encouraged to bring your own food but you can always purchase some food there.
- Enjoy your dinner at Willaby’s Café. Popular item is white stone burger.
- Head back to resort and rest.
Reedville Fishermen’s Museum and Hughlett Point Natural Area
- Enjoy your breakfast at Lee’s Restaurant. We recommend shrimp steak sandwich.
- Drive to Reedville Fishermen’s Museum.You can walk through the oldest house in Reedville and know about what life was like in Reedville during the late 19th century, explore remarkable displays and view several unique boats. Don’t forget to visit the gift shop.
- Enjoy your lunch at Cockrell’s Creek Seafood & Deli. We recommend soft crab, burger.
- Drive to Hughlett Point Natural Area. Walk through the woods to have a peaceful day exploring the beauty of nature and listening to sounds of wildlife.
- Enjoy your dinner at sandpiper restaurant. We recommend grilled halibut with shiitake mushroom cream sauce and sea food.
- Head back to resort and rest.
Last day of the trip
- Enjoy amenities at and nearby your resort until your flight time. Pack your bags and get ready to leave with a rejuvenated body and soul.