In this summer adventure vacation, get your adrenaline pumping with aerial hiking, mountain coaster ride, jet skis and more! While winter brings many adventurers to Lake Tahoe for the skiing and boarding. The summer has even more adventure sports to take advantage of: on the water, land, and in the sky. When the weather is warm and sunny, it’s a perfect time to hit both the trails and the beaches. There are more Lake Tahoe summer activities than you could ever fit into one trip. Here is how we recommend you spend your 2 weeks in lake Tahoe.
- Avoid hiking alone, pack plenty of drinking water, stay alert, and stick to the trails.
- Carry some change for parking and some other expenses.
Recommended daily itinerary
Estimated cost: $5500-$10000 per person
First day of the trip, check in to your hotel and get settled.
- Fly into Rino-Tahoe international airport.
- Drive to Truckee and checkin to The Ritz-Carlton. Sweeping mountain vistas and rustic furnishings are just two of the many reasons why guests are drawn to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe. Others include fantastic customer service, great food and a sumptuous atmosphere. With a ski-in/ski-out location near the shores of Lake Tahoe, California, this Ritz allows visitors prime access to the slopes and two nearby championship golf courses. As for the hotel itself, on-site amenities include a tranquil spa and gourmet restaurants. As far as lodging goes, recent guests raved about the large rooms, comfy beds and beautiful setting. Rooms and suites adopt a mountain lodge feel with stone fireplaces, wood trim and beautiful views.
- Get settled and enjoy amenities at the Ritz carlton.
A 2.4-mile ride up in the Heavenly Mountain Gondola will leave you breathless as you take in panoramic views of Lake Tahoe.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Rubicon Pizza Company. We recommend herbed pita bread.
- Drive to Heavenly village to catch Gandola ride to Heavenly. On your way up, stop at the Observation Deck for photos, a latte at Cafe Blue or a unique Heavenly souvenir at The Gondola Sports shop. Once you get to the top, head up the Tamarack Express chairlift with your Scenic Gondola ticket for some of the best views of Lake Tahoe and access to a series of hiking trails, ranging from beginner to expert. Make advanced reservation for Scenic Gondola + Coaster Package.
- Enjoy your lunch at Base Camp Pizza. We recommend thai chicken pizza.
- Continue exploring heavenly mountain and take the mountain coaster down the mountain. Explore Heavenly village after the tour.
- Enjoy your dinner at Christy Hill. We recommend grilled halibut.
Emerald Bay State Park is centered on Lake Tahoe’s Emerald Bay, a National Natural Landmark.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Donner Lake Kitchen. We recommend scrambled omelet.
- Drive to Emerald Bay State Park. Enjoy kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming or just relaxing on the beach soaking in the views and sunshine. You can rent kayaks/paddle board with Kayak Tahoe. Make sure to arrive early as parking is limited.
- Enjoy your lunch at The Beacon Bar & Grill. Try out their calamari.
- Continue exploring Emerald Bay State Park. Make your way to Fannette island on a kayak and hike through rough rocks to get to the tea house. While the hike isn’t too hard, but the rocks can be slippery. Take a picture from the east window looking out over Lake Tahoe.
- Enjoy your dinner at Primos Italian Bistro. We recommend Sambuca Shrimp.
- Head back to your hotel to rest up and recharge for next day’s adventure.
The Rubicon Trail is a 22-mile-long route, part road and part 4×4 trail, located in the Sierra Nevada of the western United States, due west of Lake Tahoe and about 80 miles (130 km) east of Sacramento.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Pep’s Place. We recommend veg burrito. Pack your lunch for the day as you’ll be hiking through the day.
- Drive to Georgetown, all the way to Loon Lake and enjoy few hours of hiking on the Ellis creek trail way to Rubicon trail. Enjoy your lunch and continue exploring Rubicon trail. Make sure to save an offline topo map to help you navigate the trail.
- Enjoy your dinner at Freshies Restaurant & Bar. We recommend Teriyaki chicken Stir Fry.
- Head back to your hotel, stretch out your legs after a long day of hiking and rest up for the day.
The Eagle Falls trailhead is located in the El Dorado National Forest, in the Sierra Nevada, within Emerald Bay State Park, on the western shore of Lake Tahoe, California. Vikingsholm Trail is a 2.7 miles heavily trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake.
- Enjoy your breakfast at the dam café. We recommend toasted bagel.
- Drive to Lower Eagle Falls and hike the lower eagle trail enjoying the views of the falls from several view points along the trail.
- Enjoy your lunch at Bert’s Café. We recommend mexican burger.
- Drive to Vikingsholm trail. This is a moderate, dirt and paved road hike. Parking fills up early so parking on the road may be necessary. At the end of the trail you can take the Vikingsholm Castle tour.
- Enjoy your dinner at Evan’s American Gourmet Café. We recommend Sauteed Veal Sweetbreads.
One of the top ski resorts on the West Coast, Squaw Valley was the host of the 1960 Winter Olympics. During summer, you can climb over 2,000 feet in a Tram with a bird’s-eye-view of Lake Tahoe and the Sierra.
- Enjoy your breakfast at fire sign café. We recommend eggs benedict.
- Drive to squaw valley. Embark on a 10-minute Aerial Tram ride and soar 550 feet above a mountainscape of creeks, waterfalls, forests, granite rock, and the iconic Tram Face, an alternate way to enjoy the tram is to hike up to High Camp, and take the Aerial Tram back down. This trail is strenuous, so prepare accordingly. Not only will you get to stretch those legs but the tram ride down is free!
- Enjoy your lunch at Auld Dubliner. We recommend crispy fish tacos.
- Continue exploring squaw valley. There are several other high adrenaline activities at squaw valley you can pick to keep you pumped up for the day. If you like to climb, there are climbing gyms nearby, if you want to climb outdoors, big chief area has multiple routes, with vast majority of the routes that are bolted. If you are a beginner climber, we recommend the Via Ferrata routes operated by local guide service where you can learn to navigate the rock face on the protected climbing route with permanent steel anchors and cables that keep participants safely connected to the rock 100% of the time.
- Enjoy your dinner at River Grill. We recommend grilled salmon.
Continue exploring Squaw valley
- Enjoy your breakfast at fire sign café. We recommend Spanish omelette.
- Get on 2 wheels to explore Squaw valley. Bike rentals located at Parallel Mountain Sports in The Village at Squaw Valley located next to the Aerial Tram building can set you up for awesome bike rides of the mountains and valley.
- Enjoy your lunch at Auld Dubliner. We recommend whiskey mushroom burger.
- Head over to tahoe jet boats to get your lake tahoe fix. With activities ranging from motor boat ride to kayak to wakeboarding, you will certainly find something that matches your style.
- Enjoy your dinner at River Grill. We recommend grilled pork chop.
Eagle Rock Trail is a 1.1 miles heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Homewood, that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. Sugar Pine Point State Park contains one of the finest remaining natural areas on Lake Tahoe.
- Enjoy your breakfast at café zenon. We recommend baked egg.
- Drive to Eagle rock Trail head. Stretch out your leg muscles hiking this easy trail and enjoy the views and wildlife it provides. You can also work out your upper body with a bit of bouldering at the top.
- Enjoy your lunch at Tahoe House Bakery & Gourmet. It is a family owned business that offers fresh baked breads, pastries, coffee drinks, cookies, European style tortes, a variety of bottled sauces and dressings, deli lunches fully prepared meals to go with gourmet cheeses, meats, wine, and more!
- Drive to Sugar Pine State Park. The park is well maintained and completely gorgeous. The swimming pier is large and perfect for getting in the water and taking a swim, there are wonderful and scenic trails for hiking and biking, and the water clarity and color is a sight to behold.
- Enjoy your dinner at Spoon gourmet comfort food. We recommend Rosemary Pork Chop.
Tahoe Jack’s Adventure Authority provides Lake Tahoe tours, excursions and expeditions throughout the greater South Lake Tahoe region.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Zephyr Cove Restaurant. We recommend Blueberry Pancakes.
- Book a kayak tour with Tahoe Jack’s. Once you book the tour detailed directions to each adventure location are provided via email. Enjoy kayak tours through crystal clear waters. Embark on a scenic hiking adventure high above Lake Tahoe.
- Enjoy your lunch at Ace high saloon & smokehouse.
- Hike on a nearby trail or relax by the lake.
- Enjoy your dinner at Jimmy’s Restaurant. We recommend Three Hoof Bolognese.
Pope Beach is located on the south shore of beautiful Lake Tahoe on Highway 89 approximately three miles northwest of the City of South Lake Tahoe.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Glazed And Confuzed Tahoe Donut.
- Drive to pope beach. The beach offers excellent swimming and picnicking opportunities and incredible views of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding Sierra Nevada. Kayak rentals are available on site.
- Enjoy your lunch at Dragonfly Bagel. We recommend Mort’s pastrami.
- Parasail over lake tahoe and enjoy breathtaking views. Reservations are recommended.
- Enjoy your dinner at Jimmy’s Restaurant. We recommend Three Hoof Bolognese.
Tahoe Treetop Adventure Parks is located within the 125-acre North Tahoe Regional Park in Tahoe Vista. The Truckee river is the sole outlet of Lake Tahoe and drains part of the high Sierra Nevada, emptying into Pyramid Lake in the Great Basin. Its waters are an important source of irrigation along its valley and adjacent valleys.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Spindleshanks Tahoe Restaurant. We recommend huevos rancheros.
- Drive to Tahoe Treetop Adventure Parks. Enjoy elevated aerial trekking, tree platforms, zip line, bridges and vertical climbing.
- Enjoy your lunch at Front Street Station Pizza. We recommend half baked cheese pizza.
- Drive to River Road/Highway 89 to join 2pm rafting tour with Truckee river raft company. Enjoy the river rafting picturesque mountain views, swimming holes and sand bars. Float down the Truckee River cruising through serene waters featuring picturesque mountain views and lively little rapids, punctuated here and there by swimming holes and sand bars. Make advanced reservations.
- Enjoy your dinner at The Blue Agave. We recommend pork enchiladas rancheras.
Kings Beach State Recreation Area is the flagship beach site in the North Tahoe area.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Kings cafe.
- Drive to Kings Beach State Recreation Area. You can enjoy various water activities like boating, paddleboards, parasailing, aqua cycle trikes, peddle boat and jet ski. You can rent jet skis from Tahoe Aquatic center.
- Enjoy your lunch at Jason’s Beachside Grille. We recommend shrimp and scallop pasta.
- Continue exploring Kings Beach. Practice your spikes at the volleyball court or dribble in the basketball court.
- Enjoy your dinner at Caliente. We recommend chicken mole enchilada.
Lakeside Beach provides you a quiet moment to reflect on the beauty of Lake Tahoe.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Jimmy’s Restaurant. We recommend smashed avocado toast.
- Drive to lakeside beach. This is a private beach and you’ll need daily pass to enter the beach. You have to purchase the pass at the gate and there’s a limit on daily visitors. So, get there early to get your pass. Go to the front gate attendant for accessing volleyball that’s available on a first come first serve basis and enjoy quality beach volleyball with your partner.
- Enjoy your lunch at The Beach House. We recommend Captain Novak’s Fish Sandwich.
- Continue exploring lakeside beach, Jet Skis, Paddle Boats and Kayak rentals are available on the beach.
- Enjoy your dinner at Izabella Ristorante Italiano. We recommend Spaghetti & meatballs.
Last day of the trip.
- Enjoy amenities near your hotel until your flight time, pack your bags and get ready to head home and plan for your next adventure.