Brilliant ocean vistas, lovely beaches, warm tropical weather, roaring waterfalls and unforgettable sunsets will certainly make you feel amorous in this romantic getaway to Kauai, Hawaii. Kauai’s nicknamed “the Garden Isle” thanks to the tropical rainforest covering much of its surface. The dramatic cliffs and pinnacles of its Na Pali Coast have served as a backdrop for major Hollywood films, while 10-mile-long Waimea Canyon and the Nounou Trails traversing the Sleeping Giant mountain ridge are hiking destinations.
- There’s pretty much only one road around the island and traffic during morning and evening commute times can be heavy. Check traffic before you drive.
- Almost all rental cars on Kauai look pretty rough (some are scratched, dented, and banged up within an inch of their life). It’s a good idea to take pictures before you drive and take supplemental insurance provided by your rental car company.
Recommended daily itinerary
Estimated cost: $5500-$8500 per person
First day of the trip, check in to your hotel and get settled.
- Fly into Lihue Airport.
- Drive to Koloa and checkin to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa. Get away to the soothing white sands of Poipu on Kauai’s sunny south shore at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa. This luxury oasis with lush gardens and acres of pools offers ocean view dining, rooms with private lanais, championship golf and Anara Spa.
- Enjoy Traditional Luau with entertainment at your resort.
Explore Waimea Canyon. 14-mile-long, mile-wide and approximately 3,600-feet deep gorge is awash with spectacular scenery difficult to find elsewhere on the Hawaiian islands.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Ilima Terrace Restaurant. We recommend Molokai rainbow bread.
- Drive to Waimea Canyon. You can drive around the canyon stopping at various lookout points or you can stretch your legs at one or more of the hikes along the canyon. Cliff trail is an easy hike but will reward you with panoramic, beautiful views across the canyon. If you want a bit more challenge, take the canyon trail and you will not be disappointed. For the more adventurous ones, we recommend downhill bike ride adventure with Hawaii adventure center.
- Head over to Chicken In a Barrel BBQ for lunch. We recommend deluxe bacon cheeseburger.
- Take a 55-Minute scenic helicopter tour from Waimea Canyon to Na Pali Coast flying over Waimea Canyon, waterfalls of waiapuna and gliding along the dry red ravine and breathtaking emerald spires of the napali coast.
- Head over to Brennecke’s Beach Broiler for dinner. We recommend prime rib dinner.
Visit Ke’e Beach and Kalapaki Beach.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Red Salt at Ko’a Kea.
- Drive to Ke’e Beach. Ke’e is a protected reef making it an excellent spot for swimming and snorkeling. If you don’t feel like jumping in the water, you can always hike Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali coastline and enjoy the views along the way. Keep in mind that this trail is 11 miles long (one way) and some parts can be treacherous. Hiking beyond Hanakapiai Falls or Hanakapiai Stream requires a state permit.
- Enjoy your lunch at Opakapaka Grill and Bar.
- Head over to Kalapaki Beach. This sandy beach in a calm cove is the idyllic Hawaiian beach to unwind and relax. Water is always warm for swimming. For the more adventurous types, local operators provide tours and lessons to keep you entertained.
- Enjoy your dinner at Holoholo Grill.
Visit Poipu Beach Park and Hanalei Bay.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Anuenue Cafe.
- Drive to Poipu Beach Park. Experienced surfers can catch a wave or two but there are plenty of alternatives like swimming, snorkeling, body boarding and sun bathing. Not to mention the spectacular views for your perfect profile pictures. If you want to get deeper down water, Sheraton Caverns, off Poipu, known for its mythical ledges that start at 30 feet and go as deep as 60 feet. There are caverns under most of the ledges where turtles, sharks and eels reside. This spot is considered by many to be the No. 1 diving site on the island for its abundance of fish. seasportdivers provides excellent options for diving.
- Enjoy your lunch at Kalapaki Joe’s Poipu. We recommend carne asada fries.
- Drive to Hanalei Bay. Begin with a kayaking trip along the Hanalei River before heading onto the Bay to soak up the scenery, spy sea turtles, and more. Then, swap your kayak for a snorkel for an underwater nature expedition.
- Enjoy your dinner at Ilima Terrace. We recommend herb roasted chicken.
Last day of the trip
- Enjoy amenities at your hotel including Anara spa to rejuvenate your body and soul.
- Pack up your bags and bid farewell to a memorable vacation.
Hope you like this vacation itinerary. Browse more sample itineraries. Let us plan for your next trip. Request your free itinerary.