Snuggle up with your loved one in a cozy lodge, embrace each other in the backdrop of stunning snow capped mountains, glide downhill on fresh powder on your skis or snowboards together, pamper each other with a couples spa. There’s no better place for a romantic getaway than this winter wonderland.
- Drive slowly to stay safe on Montana’s winter road. Expect ice on bridges and shady spots. Don’t use cruise control and always buckle up.
- Animals frequently cross the road, usually around dawn and dusk. Watch out and stay alert.
- Always carry extra warm clothes, blankets, food and water in the car.
- Carry your winter gears: boots, mittens, beanies, gloves, warm jacket and pants.
- Consider renting a four wheel drive and carry tire chains.
- Cell phone service will be spotty in many parts of glacier national park, carry offline maps and navigation devices.
Recommended daily itinerary
Estimated cost: $2500-$5500 per person
First day of the trip, check in to your hotel and get settled.
- Fly into Glacier Park International Airport.
- Checkin to Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge. This hotel is located in the vibrant and charming town of Whitefish, MT with the gorgeous outdoors of Glacier National Park, Whitefish Lake and Whitefish Mountain Resort nearby. There are frequent festivals and events in Whitefish, as well as an abundance of boutique shops, bars and elegantly-rustic dining all within walking distance of the hotel.
Explore Glacier National Park.
The magic mountain splendor of Glacier National Park can be reached from Whitefish with less than a 30-mile drive.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Peerman Farmstead. We recommend Breakfast Burrito.
- Drive to Glacier National Park and visit the Apgar Visitor Center. Rangers often lead guided snowshoeing tours from Apgar Village. You can receive a schedule of events upon arrival. While bears might be hibernating, there’s plenty of other wildlife present during the winter, including beaver, deer, birds, mountain lions, and occasionally elk and moose. You’ll want to stay with your ranger and follow any instructions they have when encountering these wild animals. If you’d like to venture on your own, several hikes also start from around Apgar, including the Apgar Lookout, Fish Creek to Apgar, and Lake McDonald West Shore hikes. These are mostly level and perfect for enjoying the winter weather.
- Head over to Belton Grill Dining Room & Tap Room for lunch. We recommend grilled harissa chicken.
- Head over to going to the sun road. You’ll have access to spectacular sceneries and some uncrowded recreational opportunities. You can cross country ski or snowshoe here or just stroll along the trail enjoying the views. Skiing the going to the sun road is the most popular ski trail in the Park. You can rent your skis and snowshoes from glacier cyclery and nordic.
- Enjoy your dinner at China Wall Restaurant. We recommend pork stir fried Chop Suey.
Explore Whitefish City Beach and Kalispell
Backdropped by forested mountain peaks, the wide-reaching banks of Whitefish Lake are one of the major attractions of the city. A charming western town also reputed as a gateway to Glacier National Park, Kalispell is closer to the shores of Flathead Lake and fifteen miles south of Whitefish.
- Enjoy your breakfast at Swift Creek Café. We recommend turkish eggs.
- Drive to Whitefish City Beach. The views are stunning and you can walk out on the frozen lake. Just don’t expect to go swimming.
- Enjoy your lunch at Whitefish Lake Restaurant. We recommend montana beef sandwich.
- Drive to Kalispell. You can enjoy various activities like aerial fitness classes, spa sessions, and even creating your own fragrances. We recommend a couples massage at bear roots massage therapy.
- Enjoy your dinner at Buffalo Cafe & Nightly Grill. We recommend bison meatloaf.
- Head back to your hotel and rest for the day.
Whitefish Theatre Company and Downtown Whitefish
Whitefish Theatre Company is a local non-profit performing arts organization that performs productions in the I.A. O’Shaughnessy Cultural Arts Center.
- Enjoy your breakfast at The Great Northern Bar and Grill. We recommend steak sandwich.
- Drive to Whitefish Theatre Company. Catch a show and see the art-loving local community perform music and dances. The fun plays and concerts in this theater are must-see attractions in Whitefish.
- Enjoy your lunch at MacKenzie River Pizza Co. We recommend baked chicken alfredo.
- Head over to Downtown Whitefish. Check out the locally-owned art galleries and cultural arts center near Central Avenue. And when the sky gets dark, check out the nightlife scene that keeps this part of town bright and alive.
- Enjoy your dinner at Tupelo Grille. We recommend rack of lamb.
- Head back to your hotel and rest.
Last day of the trip
- Pack your bags and get ready to leave with your partner who now loves you even more than before.