Belize is one of the world’s top travel destination that offers captivating attractions and exciting activities. The sub tropical climate of Belize makes it the best vacation destination all year round. With outstanding reefs, famous mayan ruins, diverse cultures & food, incredible flora & fauna, Belize has something for everyone. Follow this Belize vacation itinerary for a memorable and satisfying vacation.
- While most restaurants, tour companies and shops accepts credit cards, there’s often a hefty tax to do so. Carry cash instead. There are ATMs in every major city and island.
- You’re on island time where everything goes slow. Enjoy the relaxed environment and don’t expect prompt service.
- During rainy season (June through November), there may be unexpected rain outbursts. A poncho will come in handy.
- Driving conditions in Belize aren’t ideal. Consider using public transportation, taxis or shuttles instead.
- If you have a packable snorkel, carry them so that you can jump into one of the many diving areas without having to rent gears.
- You’ll be moving a lot in this trip, pack light.
Recommended daily itinerary
Estimated cost: $2000-$4500 per person
First day of the trip, check in to your hotel and get settled.
- Fly in to Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport. Check in to Raddisson Fort George Hotel. This hotel provides the ideal base from which to explore everything that Belize has to offer. Guests can enjoy fitness center or cool off in one of two pools.
- Grab a bite at Midtown Restaurant & Bar.
Explore Belize city
Belize city is located on the east coast of Belize at the mouth of the Belize River. As the nation’s main port, the city is a hub for cruise ships and a jumping-off spot for excursions to other parts of Belize, including the Cayo District’s caves and Maya archaeological sites along the Macal and Belize rivers.
- Get your breakfast at Martha’s Cafe. Fresh avocado toast is a delight.
- Visit Baron Bliss Lighthouse. Take a picture or two, keep an eye out for dolphins feeding and playing in the open sea.
- Visit Museum of Belize to learn about Belize’s history and culture.
- Top off at Dario’s Meat Pie.
- Visit Altun Ha Maya Ruins. You’ll walk a lot, make sure to wear comfortable shoes. Sunscreen or umbrellas are great ideas and don’t forget to carry bugspray. Carry water and snacks or $1 bills if you’d rather buy them there. Pineapple candies from local vendors are pretty awesome.
- Wind down with great food and sunset view at The Fat Mermaid Beach cafe.
Known for its palm-lined beaches, easy access to southern barrier reef and a laid back village charm, Placencia is a popular destination for travelers.
- Enjoy your early morning breakfast at La Petit Cafe.
- Check out from your hotel and make your way to Philip S. W. Goldson International airport to take a short flight to Placencia Airport. You could travel by bus instead however, you will be trading time – 40 minutes flight vs 6 hours bus ride.
- Check in to Belize Ocean Club Resort.
- Head over to Seine Bight village for a relaxing afternoon. Seine Bight is a charming Garifuna village two and a half miles south of the Maya Beach. Check out the village or head over to the beach. You can explore the village on bike or golf carts renting from the local vendors.
- Dine at Rumfish y Vino.
Laughing Bird Caye National Park
Located in the southern most island in the central lagoon of the Belize Barrier Reef, this national park is designated as one of the premiere protected areas within the World Heritage Site. Abundance and variety of coral habitats and marine life makes this one of the top diving destination. This island gets its name from the population of laughing gulls which previously bred there.
- Enjoy early morning breakfast at your resort.
- Take a snorkeling or diving tour with Palencia Snorkeling. They offer diving tours for novice as well as expert divers. Tour includes all gears, transportation, park fees, lunch and drinks (non alcoholic). Get up close with the corals and marine life.
- Head back to your resort. Enjoy your dinner at the clubhouse and rest up for the day.
The quiet Village of Monkey River rated as one of the top tours in Southern Belize because of it’s abundant flora and fauna. You’ll get up close with tropical birds, butterflies, crocodiles, iguanas and howler monkey for which the village got its name.
- Enjoy your early morning breakfast at the clubhouse.
- Take an early morning 8 am Monkey river tour. This 5 hour tour includes water taxi pickup from Placencia, bird watching, medicinal trail hiking and manatee viewing. Wear comfortable shoes and long pants and full sleeve shirt. Binoculars and fully charged camera as you’ll take a lot of pictures.
- Head over to Maya beach. This quaint, quiet beach is the perfect place to sit in the sunshine, kick your shoes off, and swing the day away in a beachfront hammock while you admire the view of the nearby Maya Mountains. The water is quite calm here, and it’s perfect for taking a dip. The nearby cayes are also great for snorkeling, scuba diving, and fishing.
- Head over to Dawn’s grill to top off. The Creole lobster is one of the popular menu items.
San Ignacio is a small town in Cayo District of western Belize, on the banks of the Macal River. Located in the heart of the once-mighty Mayan civilization, there are many amazing historical attractions in San Ignacio.
- Enjoy your breakfast at the clubhouse.
- Checkout from your hotel and make your way to San Ignacio. Easiest way to get there is via private car transfer.
- Check in to Cahal Pech Village Resort.
- Head over to Green Iguana Conservation Project. This is an informational and educational exhibit has been designed to give visitors a closer look at green iguana and learn how vital they are to the ecological balance of the river habitat. Here, visitors are given the opportunity to learn about the incubation, hatching, rearing, and releasing process of this specie.
- Wind down with dinner at Cave House of Flavor.
Xunantunich and Barton Creek Cave
Xuanantinuch is the ruins of a compact but impressive maya city. Barton creek cave served as an entrance to Xibalba, the Maya underworld.
- Enjoy early morning breakfast at your resort. You’ll need to email for an early morning breakfast.
- Take 8:30 am guided tour to Xunantunich and Barton Creek Cave. This full day tour includes transportation, guided tour, lunch and beverages. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Bring a fully charged camera and some cash.
- After your tour, head over to San Ignacio Market to find local fresh prepared food and local fruits and veggies. Enjoy your dinner at the Market.
Ambergris Caye, Belize’s largest island, is known for its water sports, scuba diving and Caribbean beaches.
- After early morning breakfast at your resort, take a private car transfer to Belize City Water Taxi terminal.
- Take a water taxi to San Pedro.
- Check in to sunbreeze hotel. Surrounded by palm trees this laid-back hotel features garden and/or pool views, the simply furnished rooms have free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and minifridges. Upgraded rooms add sea views and whirlpool tubs.
- Rent a bike and explore the town of San pedro. You’ll pass several bars, restaurants & resorts along the way. You could also bike along the beach for a more scenic ride.
- Dine at Ramen 501 by Jyoto.
Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark Rey Alley and Belize Blue Hole.
Hol Chan is Mayan for ‘little channel.” This is the Belize’s oldest marine reserve. This reserve is world famous for its impressive coral formations and colorful, curious marine life. A lovely little spot in the reserve is a hotspot for largely harmless and docile sharks and smaller rays. The belize blue hole is a giant marine sinkhole off the coast of Belize. It lies near the center of Lighthouse Reef, a small atoll 70 km from the mainland and Belize City.
- Enjoy early morning breakfast at your hotel.
- Take 8:30 am snorkel tour to Hol Chan Marine reserve and Shark Ray Alley. Your tour includes gears and water. Carry some snack to top off on your way back. Splash into the shallow, clear Caribbean waters and explore the amazing coral reef formations and marine life. Swim with gentle stringrays and nurse sharks.
- Enjoy your lunch at Coconut Cafe.
- Take an afternoon tour flying over the world famous Great Blue hole. This 1-hour tour departs from the San Pedro Municipal Airport to fly over the Blue Hole.
- Explore beaches by San Pedro until you’re hungry and then head over to Pupuseria Salvadoreno for dinner.
Pack up and head back
- After your breakfast, checkout beaches near your hotel until flight time. Pack up your bags and check out from your hotel. Make your way to Belize city via water taxi and head over to the airport with lot of fun memories and instagram worthy pictures.